Academia de Ingeniera, Arquitectura y Agrimensura de Filipinas
The Philippine Institute of Architects traces its origin to the Academia de Ingeniera, Arquitectura y Agrimensura de Filipinas. The first organization for Filipino Maestro de Obras during the early 1900. It was co- founded by Carlos Alejandro Barretto,et al. in 1903.
The last serving president of the organization is Tomas Arguelles.
1921- Tomas Mapua, member, became the first registered architect with the Professional Regulation Commission license number 00001.
1925- Tomas B. Mapua established the Mapúa Institute of Technology to train and to share to the Filipino artisans what he have learned from the Cornell University in the United States.
Philippine Architects Society
At the turn of the century on 1933, during the American occupation, the Pensionado and the members of the AiAAF joined forces hand-in-hand to establish the first architectural professional organization in the Philippines, thus the founding of the Philippine Architects Society on January 19, 1933.
The organization’s first president was Juan F. Nakpil, who was then only 32 years old. He was president from 1933- 1935 until he was replaced by Tomas Mapua in 1935.
Among the founding members of the organization were Carlos Alejandro Barretto, who gave the name of the organization; Juan F. Nakpil, president; Tomas Mapua, chief of the Bureau of Public Works; Tomas Arguelles, president of AiAAF; Juan M. Arellano, Pablo S. Antonio, and Andres Luna de San Pedro, from the Bureau of Public Works. The society held its headquarters at the Nakpil Mansion in Dakota, Manila.
1936, American architect William E. Parsons sat as adviser of the PAS.
1941, Pablo Antonio assumed the presidency of the PAS during the first PAS Convention held at the old Club Filipino in Sta. Mesa, Manila. On the same year, the organization bestowed to Pres. Manuel L. Quezon its first Honorary Membership Award.
1941- the PAS established the School of Design and Arts along Isaac Peral Street (now United Nations Avenue, Manila). The school was dedicated for the training and education of architects and artisan in the country. However, the school was shutdown during the World War II and was never reopened until then.
During the World War II, the PAS ceased its activities from 1942-1945.
Philippine Institute of Architects
On 1945, the PAS was called for a noble cause to help rehabilitate the war-stricken country. The society once again resumed its activities and changed the name to the Philippine Institute of Architects and Planners (PIAP) then to the present Philippine Institute of Architects.
1950- Republic Act 545, or known as the Architects’ Law was passed. RA 545 was amended in 2004 and became the foundation of the current Architecture Act of 2004 or the Republic Act 9266.
1952- The PIA was admitted to the Union de Internationale de Architectes (UIA), the International organization for architects. In the same year, the organization transferred and buried the remains of painter Juan Luna in San Agustin Church in Intramuros.
1953- During the 20th PIA National Convention, the PIA MArch was first heard.
1955- The organization prepared the master plan for the proposed National Capitol Complex in Quezon City, under the name PIA Collaborative.
1960- The organization published the first Architect’s Code. On the same year, it also helped in the restoration process of the world renowned paiting, Spoliarium.
1961- It released its first publication journal entitled, PIA Journal with Felipe Mendoza,fpia as editor. On the same year, PIA president L.V. Locsin, opened the Philippine exhibit of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright at the PhilAm Life Building in Manila.
1963- The PIA Quezon City Section was created.
1966- The PIA released the first Architect’s National Code. The same year, the Architectural Center Club was founded by PIA members Carlos Arguelles, Gabriel Formoso, AJ Luz, Francisco Fajardo, Manuel Manosa and Luis Araneta.
1970- The PIA drafted the provisions of Presidential Decree 1096, also known as the National Building Code of the Philippines to be signed by President of the Philippines Ferdinand E. Marcos.
1971- The PIA celebrated its Golden Anniversarywith the League of Philippine Architects and the Association of Philippine Government Architects.The organization launched the PIA Walk which became the basis of the Annual Alay Lakad. It also released its second publication journal entitled “Krokis”.
1975- The PIA was united with LPA and APGA to form the United Architects of the Philippines.
1985- Arch. Imelda Cancio,fpia became the first female president of the PIA.
1990- The organization established its permanent headquarters in Citiland Tower 1.
1991- The organization passed on to the United Architects of the Philippines its membership in UIA. on the same year, the first architect-ambassador, Jose Ma. Zaragoza was appointed as diplomat to Malta.
1993- The PIA held its first convention in a luxury ship> MV Mabuhay.
1997- Arch. Rogelio Villarosa, Gold Medalist, designed the PIA Center.
2002- The PIA released its first internet website under the domain www.piaarchitect.com
2003- On its 70th Anniversary, the PIA inaugurated the PIA Library and Museum.
2004- The PIA bestowed the “70 Distinguished Men of Service” in Intramuros; and the first formal partnership of PIA and UAP was the Architectural Archives Philippines, with its founding chairman Robert Benedict Hermoso, FUAP and Joel Rico, FPIA.
2005- Together with Instituto Cervantes, they launched the rare exhibit of Spanish architect Antonio Gaudi at the Ayala Museum. The first National Artist Architectural Marker was unveiled at the CCP, with PIA as the project proponent. Later, 12 structures were installed with such historic marker.
2006- The first calendar-book was published by PIA and Boysen Paints entitled Philippine Skycrapers. It was followed by National Artists for Architecture, Malacanang Palace of the People, and American Colonial Architecture in the Philippines.
2008- The PIA held its first international convention in Singapore.
2009- The first international publication of the PIA was the Ang Mundo Ni Maestro 11 Flipino Master Builders and pioneer architects.
2012- The Philippine Institute of Architecture Students and Associates (PIASA) was established. The PIA co-founded the Philippine Council for the Architecture Profession (PCAP) with J. Paul Octaviano, FPIA, as the founding Vice Chairman of the Council.
2012- The first architectural exhibit was initiated by PIA and the National Museum of the Philippines called the Philippine Architectural Gallery and Built Heritage Resource Center